A lot of homeowners struggle with the problem of excess humidity on a regular basis. The problem of excess humidity often leads to other issues such as mold or mildew in the home. When these issues become apparent, serious damage and ongoing problems to the carpets, flooring, ceilings, and drywall happen. Other troubles occur due to humidity including allergies and other types of illnesses.
How do HVAC units help in lowering humidity?
When dealing with the problem of excess humidity, start with identifying the source. Where is the excess humidity coming from? Are you able to stop this from reoccurring? What steps can you take to ensure extra humidity does not continue to be a problem? Asking yourself these questions will help aid you in creating the correct solution for your household.
Facts to remember:
- The most common sources of humidity include improper bathroom ventilation, an incorrectly sealed basement, poorly fitted flooring areas and poor HVAC maintenance (humidity, ventilation and air conditioning).
- A blocked condenser coil or a poor-functioning AC will prevent your HVAC unit from maintaining the proper temperature and lessens the water removal from the air causing the humidity. It is essential to keep your HVAC unit fully functional and operational for maintaining an overall healthy atmosphere.
- Experienced and Professional HVAC companies such as BMC Clower Heating and Air Conditioning are fully equipped and capable of testing and effectively cleaning and/or adjusting the procedures for your HVAC system which will then help eliminate the moisture and humidity.
- Other techniques used by HVAC systems are the installation of dehumidifiers in the heating and cooling system. This helps maintain the air quality control for the home in a natural manner.
- Regular maintenance of your HVAC unit can help reduce operation costs for your home.
Are there natural solutions for dealing with humidity in your home?
Indoor humidity is a naturally occurring phenomenon which requires the ongoing efforts and precautions for maintaining one’s home. Other than maintaining the HVAC unit properly, some common solutions for lowering humidity levels include:
- Proper air circulation: It is a strange fact that well-circulated air dries faster than stagnant air flow. Normally you would think the air that is regularly flowing, would help keep your moisture low but that’s not the case. For this reason, make sure your ceiling fans are set to summer or winter rotation speeds for optimal usage and proper circulation of the air. It is also recommended to install and use bathroom and kitchen ventilation fans for keeping the proper air flow.
- Reduction of the moisture levels: It is essential to take necessary measures for moisture reduction. There are a couple ways you can do this; opening windows to maintain moisture levels or by using throw rugs to create a barrier between a drafty basement and hard flooring.
- Repairing your roof: Did you know that poorly shingled homes or other roof issues could cause you to have excess humidity? Because of this, it is important to keep up on your home’s yearly maintenance which includes checking all shingles and your roof for possible holes or leaks. Keep your homes gutters clean, replace shingles which are damaged or are missing, check the door seals to your front door and any side or back doors, and check your window panes to ensure they do not have holes or torn screens. All these items can aide in creating extra moisture in your home.
Have you fixed and checked each of these suggestions for your home but still find there is excess moisture? If so, it’s time to call an experienced and reputable Montgomery and Calvert County Maryland HVAC repair company.