Now that it’s summertime in most areas of the USA, let’s discuss our current post prized possession – the air conditioner!
Did you know in 2016, the average utility bill in Maryland was $133.00? We believe this is because the homeowners in Maryland keep their HVAC systems maintenance and up-to-date with the best products for their system to run optimally in their homes.
Keeping your air conditioner optimally working should be a priority for every homeowner. In most homes, the central air conditioner works with an existing forced-air system for circulating and cooling. If maintained properly, a new air conditioner lasts years without any troubles.
There are several essential parts of the air conditioning system that needs regular upkeep and maintenance for optimal functioning. Let’s discuss some of the major components and tips to maintain them.
- Evaporator Coil: The most important component of a central air conditioner is the evaporator coil. The evaporator coil cools the air. The cooled air then makes its way into different parts of your home through ducts, and at the same time, the room-temperature air is pulled back into the A/C’s return air duct and this cycle keeps repeating itself. The functioning of the evaporator coil should be checked on a regular basis.
- Cleaning the Evaporator: The evaporator is another important component that is usually located above the furnace in the plenum. Generally, the front part of the evaporator is covered by a foil-wrapped insulation, making it easier to clean. It is recommended to call an HVAC expert for regular maintenance of the evaporator.
- Condenser unit: The condenser unit is vital for the functioning of central air conditioning. It is a sealed system that supports optimal functioning. Any problem with the condenser can stop the system. It’s essential to have this be maintained regularly by an HVAC technician.
Other points to check in the air conditioner unit includes checking for any leaks and if draining is happening smoothly. You should continue to check the hose connections for any signs of leaks or cracks throughout the year.
Below are some tips to ensure smooth functioning of your air conditioner unit:
- Always keep the outside air compressor clean, which can be done using a garden hose.
- Change the filters every few weeks as clean filters protect us from any kind of allergies or other diseases which can occur due to the lack of cleanliness.
- To ensure the free flow of air, keep unnecessary things away from the compressor.
- Get the duct cleaned every 7-10 years with an HVAC technician to ensure there isn’t dust in the house and the breathing air is clean.
- Call an HVAC expert as soon as you have any doubts about the efficiency or effectiveness of your air conditioning unit.
- Make maximum use of ceiling fans and box fans as they help with circulating the air.
To ensure your HVAC unit is working efficiently, regular maintenance and getting professional help from HVAC experts is key. These simple precautionary steps can make your system run much longer without many troubles. Trust in 20 years of experience with BMC Clower and have one of our technicians help you today!