As the year is ending, and with Christmas right around the corner, we thought it might be important to quickly address the new law that was put in place regarding carbon monoxide detectors in homes.

In April of this year, the US passed a law stating each home needs to have a carbon monoxide detector. While we know many of you may have already jumped on the bandwagon and purchased one, some of your family members may have forgotten.

This forgotten device is one that can save lives so this holiday season, why not find out who has or hasn’t purchased one in your group of friends, family, and colleagues and give the gift of safety?

Every year, according to the American Medical Association, 480 people die because of carbon monoxide poisoning. While this may not seem like a lot compared to car accidents or other reasons why people pass, that’s 40 deaths every month – something to be alarmed by.

What is a carbon monoxide detector?

Carbon monoxide is an odorless and invisible toxin that’s released from kitchen and HVAC appliances. By gifting and installing a carbon monoxide detector, the detector can prevent you from inhaling these poisonous gases.

If you choose to purchase a detector with electrochemical sensing technology, the detector will notify you if there is an excess of carbon monoxide inside your home. It works like this: the detector senses a change in electrical currents as they encounter carbon dioxide, which will then trigger the alarm to go off and notify you. Much like a smoke detector notifies you of smoke.

What happens if the detector goes off?

If the detector goes off, it’s important not to panic. Instead, remove everyone and all your pets from the home. Go outside and breathe fresh air. Check every animal and person for any health conditions or breathing abnormalities. If you notice anything out of the ordinary, contact 911 immediately.

Before removing yourself completely from the home, try to open any windows or extra doors if possible to remove the monoxide.

It is important that you do not enter your home until the alarm stops sounding and safety checks have been passed by your fire department or local authorities.

Having your alarm go off may be the best indication to you that it’s time to call an expert and have someone inspect your home.

Where can you purchase and gift a carbon monoxide detector?

You can purchase a carbon monoxide detector online at Amazon, at shops like Walmart and Target, or even in-home goods stores such as Lowes or Home Depot. We recommend purchasing a detector with electrochemical sensing technology.